It’s day 6 0f the 30 Day Braiding Challenge – 30 Days of New Braids!
Today’s challenge is the fishtail braid. The fishtail braid has been around forever, but I only learned how to do it last year.
Confession time – I hated the fishtail braid! Well, I loved it… I loved how it looked. But doing it? I hated it.
It took me forever to do and when I was done, my braid was crooked and weird looking! It makes me giggle a little to type this now, but that’s where I was at only a few months ago. One day I determined to master it though. I was sick of being frustrated and avoiding it. So I practiced on my cosmetology mannequin head that I’d ordered (which honestly is really freaky looking to have laying around the house – but is awesome to have!) and then I practiced some more.
I practiced my fishtail until I had it down! I got faster as I went and I figured out what I had been doing wrong that made it look funny. And then I filmed a tutorial to share with you what I had learned.
Anyway, on with the challenge!!
Additional Ways to Use the Technique
#30DaysNewBraids Favorites – More Braid Inspiration
I’ve gone back through all of the styles on Instagram that were done and tagged#30DNBDay6 as well as all the styles shared on my FB page and I wanted to share some of my favorites with you. Check out these fishtail braid hairstyles!
From top to bottom, left to right:
- Fishtail and Dutch braid combo by IG @flettemaria
- Two lace 4 strand braids into inverse fishtail braids by IG @hairstyles_by_shannon
- Fishtail braid updo by IG @braidsbykatie
- Dutch braid and French fishtail braid by IG @tay_hair_styles
- Fishtail braid and messy bun style by IG @cute_and_glossy
- Half up fishtail braid by IG @braided_to_infinity
- French fishtail accent to messy bun by IG @hairstyles_by_rowena
- 4 strand braids into fishtail braids by IG @jennishairdays
- Stacked fishtail braid by IG @ashton_hairstyles
Other posts you may like: